Mabel Oboh, the African Democratic Congress’s 2020 Edo gubernatorial candidate, urged the state government on Thursday to address the security issues in the state’s Esan West Local Government Area’s Ukhun town.
According to Oboh, the call was required to protect the residents’ lives and property.
Journalists in Benin were given access to her statement, which was captioned “Urgent call to action: Fulani herdsmen attacks devastate Esanland.” Remember how the village was invaded by herders last week, resulting in one fatality and other injuries?
According to Oboh, the recent events involving purported Fulani herdsmen attacks in Ukhun have sparked intense outrage and serious worries.
She said that Governor Monday Okpebholo must rise up to mitigate the harmful impact of the activities of these herdsmen.
“The increasing frequency and severity of these attacks have instilled a pervasive sense of fear among the Esan populace.”
The statement read, “Farmers in the community face threats of murder, kidnapping, and sexual violence, which hinder their ability to cultivate their land.”
“Consequently, the resulting food shortages and economic difficulties are exacerbating the community’s precarious situation.”
“The most recent attack in Ukhun, which resulted in one death and multiple injuries, represents yet another instance of violence against our farmers.”
“I earnestly appeal to the state government to take decisive action to safeguard the lives and assets of the Esan people”, Oboh said.
Oboh, called for the ban on open grazing, noting the people’s sources of livelihood are now being threatened.
She added, “I urge the Edo state government to prohibit open grazing and adopt ranching practices, which have historically proven effective.”