Experts express concern over the Edo State Security Network, pointing to coordination issues in the administration of Governor Monday Okpebholo in the face of growing insecurity.
The new Edo quality government of Governor Monday Okpebholo is coming under increasing fire for making contradictory claims about the quality of the Edo State Security Network. At a time when the state is dealing with an increase in violence, the governor’s office seems to have created misunderstandings about the security group just two weeks into his term.
Chief Press Secretary Fred Itua said Friday that the governor had lifted the security network suspension, which had been put in place by the Inspector General of Police (IGP) prior to the governorship election on September 21.
However, it was revealed that the suspension had already been lifted by former Governor Godwin Obaseki on October 7 during a security council meeting at Government House.
“The IG was clear; people who are not part of the national security structure cannot take part in elections,” Obaseki had clarified. “Now that the election is over, as Governor and Chief Security Officer of Edo State, I have directed that the vigilante corps will immediately resume their beats according to the law.”
Opposition leaders and security experts have harshly criticized the message inconsistency, claiming it shows a concerning lack of coordination within the new administration.
Since the governor’s inauguration, Edo State has seen a surge in criminal activity and violence linked to cults. Why the state’s security network hasn’t been fully mobilized to handle these urgent issues has been questioned by critics.
The free bus program for Edo State residents has been discontinued by Governor Monday Okpebholo. Benin City-based security consultant Bright Amadi called the situation concerning. “Understanding the status of the state’s own security network should have been a top priority for the new administration, especially given the current insecurity,” he said.
This incident follows another misstep earlier in the week, when the government hastily announced a free bus service across the state. The policy was rescinded less than 24 hours later after operators of the Edo City Transport Service reportedly deemed the plan unfeasible. The quick reversal has added to public doubts about the administration’s decision-making processes.
Prominent opposition figure Anthony Ehilebo, a PDP chieftain from Igueben, criticised the government’s approach, labelling it unprepared and shortsighted. “Government is supposed to be a continuum,” Ehilebo remarked.
Former Edo State Governor Godwin Obaseki
“Isn’t it surprising that the new administration seems unaware of existing policies? Playing politics with the Edo State Security Network during the campaign by calling it Obaseki’s private army has backfired. Rising insecurity and unacceptable loss of lives have forced the APC governor to rely on the same structure.”
Ehilebo also took aim at what he described as a lack of focus in the administration. “Instead of focusing on governance, they’re preoccupied with photo-ops and witch hunts. This interim government, as it is now called in Edo, has proven to be a confused calamity. Thankfully, we have approached the courts, and we believe the judiciary will save Edo State from this six-month APC misadventure.”
As the Okpebholo administration grapples with its early challenges, analysts have urged more strategic planning and clearer communication to avert further missteps.
“Leadership requires well-thought-out decisions that prioritise the people’s welfare,” Amadi said. “Edo State’s security and governance need immediate attention, and there’s no room for trial and error.”
The growing concerns over security and governance highlight the pressing need for the administration to establish its priorities and restore public confidence in its ability to lead.